Home » News » Public Safety
Water 'trouble coming' for Epping
Some residents found brown water, like this collected in a jar, coming from the tap in Epping last week. (JASON SCHREIBER/Union Leader Correspondent)
In a letter dated Aug. 30, the state Department of Environmental Services said it's concerned that the water being produced by the three wells at Hoar Pond "is or may be degrading over time under their current pattern of use."
Groundwater level monitoring data collected from Hoar Pond Well No. 3 and submitted to the state on Aug. 2 "indicated that the existing sources may not be capable of providing their projected production volumes and that the need for additional supply may be more critical," the letter said.
Water woes have plagued Epping for years and more concerns have been raised in recent years with the rapid expansion of businesses, including restaurants and other retailers, on Route 125.
But for the third time, voters last March defeated a $2.5 million plan to buy the property. The same proposal was rejected in 2010 and 2011.
Koch said commissioners plan to ask voters in March to consider the proposal once again.
McGeough said selectmen haven't taken a vote on whether to back the plan again, but he will support it and believes board members will as well.
Officials from the Department of Environmental Services plan to meet with water and sewer commissioners on Oct. 1.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indictments issued in fatal crashes in Dover, Barrington, Rochester - 0
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
- Hampton man still in critical condition from Rte. 125 crash - 0
- UPDATE: Pilot OK after Lake Winnipesaukee plane crash - 0
- Hampton man in critical condition after crash on Route 125 - 0
- Concord water main break diverts traffic - 0
- Claremont convent ravaged by fire to be razed - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man's story about stab wound questioned by Laconia police - 0
- More than 100 NH doctors victims of identity theft, tax fraud - 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing