Another View -- Joe Grant: Why did Kelly Ayotte get the immigration vote wrong?
The political landscape is littered with evidence of congressional failures in similar attempts to repair what Sen. Ayotte refers to as a “severely broken immigration system.”
Since 2006 we’ve seen other bills like the Border Security First Act of 2007, the reinstatement of the Secure Fence Act of 2008, the Border Security Accountability Act of 2008, the Border Security Technology Innovation Act of 2008. The list goes on.
Sen. Ayotte’s vote on the amnesty issue is in direct contradiction to her campaign rhetoric and other statements she’s made since she was elected. With this background and knowledge available, an inquiring mind must ask: Why? Why would any politician espouse such conservative principles and then act so blatantly to the contrary? This is not a rhetorical question.
Here are some clues.
It appears that Michael Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns negative ads have had a greater impact on Sen. Ayotte than some of us imagined, and perhaps the senator reasoned that a quick flip flop would suffice to get Michael and his ilk to “disappear.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man stabbed in leg in Manchester incident - 0
- Senate sustains Hassan veto of bill to revamp juvenile justice system - 0
- Possible negotiated plea for Nashua dad accused of negligent homicide in son's death - 0
- Amherst man facing charges in August Merrimack accident - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Brown calls on Shaheen to back bill targeting ISIS - 4
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid is identified - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Football Power Poll; Who's No. 1 this week? - 0
In 2nd District race, Garcia bucks Obamacare
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Find the hidden cash stashed downtown
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
20140915-Adam Sandler reflects on his and Chris Farley’s firing from ‘SNL': ‘It hurt a lot’
Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats