Another View -- Joe Grant: Why did Kelly Ayotte get the immigration vote wrong?
The political landscape is littered with evidence of congressional failures in similar attempts to repair what Sen. Ayotte refers to as a “severely broken immigration system.”
Since 2006 we’ve seen other bills like the Border Security First Act of 2007, the reinstatement of the Secure Fence Act of 2008, the Border Security Accountability Act of 2008, the Border Security Technology Innovation Act of 2008. The list goes on.
Sen. Ayotte’s vote on the amnesty issue is in direct contradiction to her campaign rhetoric and other statements she’s made since she was elected. With this background and knowledge available, an inquiring mind must ask: Why? Why would any politician espouse such conservative principles and then act so blatantly to the contrary? This is not a rhetorical question.
Here are some clues.
It appears that Michael Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns negative ads have had a greater impact on Sen. Ayotte than some of us imagined, and perhaps the senator reasoned that a quick flip flop would suffice to get Michael and his ilk to “disappear.”
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 12
- Deroy Murdock: A 'reset' with Russia that would get Putin's attention - 0
- Helen DePrima: How Obamacare worsened my health insurance - 18
- Jonah Goldberg: On Russia, Obama is stuck in the past - 3
- Ray Wieczorek: Joe Kenney is the man for the job - 1
- Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin? - 2
- Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness - 0
- George Will: The face of IRS behavior - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus