Another View -- Joe Grant: Why did Kelly Ayotte get the immigration vote wrong?
The political landscape is littered with evidence of congressional failures in similar attempts to repair what Sen. Ayotte refers to as a “severely broken immigration system.”
Since 2006 we’ve seen other bills like the Border Security First Act of 2007, the reinstatement of the Secure Fence Act of 2008, the Border Security Accountability Act of 2008, the Border Security Technology Innovation Act of 2008. The list goes on.
Sen. Ayotte’s vote on the amnesty issue is in direct contradiction to her campaign rhetoric and other statements she’s made since she was elected. With this background and knowledge available, an inquiring mind must ask: Why? Why would any politician espouse such conservative principles and then act so blatantly to the contrary? This is not a rhetorical question.
Here are some clues.
It appears that Michael Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns negative ads have had a greater impact on Sen. Ayotte than some of us imagined, and perhaps the senator reasoned that a quick flip flop would suffice to get Michael and his ilk to “disappear.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The left's arrogant groupthink - 0
- Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime - 10
- Pat Buchanan: What would Reagan do with Russia, Syria, etc.? - 5
- Deroy Murdock: Wisconsin's Scott Walker calmly leads the way - 4
- Another View - Pam Hunt and Loren Valliere: Local steps can fight climate change in NH - 20
- Another View -- Nick Pappas: NH teens, young adults will be hurt by a minimum wage hike - 7
- Another View -- Michelline Dufort: Consumers would save if PSNH sold its power plants - 0
- Fergus Cullen -- Innis: school to business to Congress? - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Track Preview: Jenkins paces defending champ North - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Track Preview: McCabe, Parker lead way - 0
- Manchester DPW chief says up to 20 layoffs possible with proposed budget - 7
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: O’Neill’s injury leaves offensive void - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: No doubt about it, Fisher Cats still confident - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 2
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 1
- 9th-inning error sends Red Sox to third straight loss - 0
Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior