Roger Simon: On Syria, Good Roger vs Bad Roger
"We must stop the needless, senseless, indefensible murder of children," Good Roger said. "The United States must act to stop the slaughter of the innocent."
"I am talking about Syria!" Good Roger shouted. "We must protect the children of Syria."
"But Syria doesn't have the Second Amendment. So we can kill Syrians to keep them from killing other Syrians!"
Good Roger is the decent, sincere, well-meaning side of me. Nobody much likes him.
Bad Roger is the snarky, sarcastic, cynical side of me. People often buy him drinks.
Good Roger has kept the book ever since he heard that George Will never goes on TV without deft and witty quotations written on his shirt sleeves.
"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action," Bad Roger said.
"Yes, from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe," Bad Roger said.
"Is he an American?" Good Roger asked.
"No, a foreigner, so you can bomb him with impunity," Bad Roger said. "He also has been dead for 181 years."
"Can we stop talking about this?" Bad Roger said. "There is a 'Duck Dynasty' marathon on A&E that I don't want to miss."
"I am not done quoting," Good Roger said. "'Speak softly and carry a big stick.' Teddy Roosevelt said that 112 years ago this week."
"Congress is a cornerstone of democracy!" Good Roger said.
"It has a lower approval rating than bad breath. And President Obama decides to turn over his foreign policy to Congress for its approval? Pure folly."
"In Libya, Obama led from behind," Bad Roger said. "In Syria, Obama is letting a bunch of behinds lead him."
"President Obama grew very worried when the British Parliament refused to back an attack on Syria."
"If George Washington had worried about what the British Parliament wanted, we all would be driving on the left side of the road today," Bad Roger said. "And have bad teeth."
"This decision to go to Congress has badly split this administration," said Bad Roger. "I saw John Kerry the other day, and I said, 'Why the long face?'"
"I can say anything," Bad Roger said. "I'm Bad Roger."
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- A warm, official welcome for New Hampshire's 237th - 3
- Manchester soldier awarded Purple Heart a humble hero - 2
- Decommissioning set for fire-damaged USS Miami - 0
- Generals from NH in change of command - 0
- China blames Xinjiang militants for deadly attack at station - 1
- NH Ukranians fear Putin's ego motives - 3
- Six NH Air National Guardsmen off to Kuwait for 6 months - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
High School Volleyball results
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Bruins shut out Wings
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing