Roger Simon: On Syria, Good Roger vs Bad Roger
"We must stop the needless, senseless, indefensible murder of children," Good Roger said. "The United States must act to stop the slaughter of the innocent."
"I am talking about Syria!" Good Roger shouted. "We must protect the children of Syria."
"But Syria doesn't have the Second Amendment. So we can kill Syrians to keep them from killing other Syrians!"
Good Roger is the decent, sincere, well-meaning side of me. Nobody much likes him.
Bad Roger is the snarky, sarcastic, cynical side of me. People often buy him drinks.
Good Roger has kept the book ever since he heard that George Will never goes on TV without deft and witty quotations written on his shirt sleeves.
"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action," Bad Roger said.
"Yes, from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe," Bad Roger said.
"Is he an American?" Good Roger asked.
"No, a foreigner, so you can bomb him with impunity," Bad Roger said. "He also has been dead for 181 years."
"Can we stop talking about this?" Bad Roger said. "There is a 'Duck Dynasty' marathon on A&E that I don't want to miss."
"I am not done quoting," Good Roger said. "'Speak softly and carry a big stick.' Teddy Roosevelt said that 112 years ago this week."
"Congress is a cornerstone of democracy!" Good Roger said.
"It has a lower approval rating than bad breath. And President Obama decides to turn over his foreign policy to Congress for its approval? Pure folly."
"In Libya, Obama led from behind," Bad Roger said. "In Syria, Obama is letting a bunch of behinds lead him."
"President Obama grew very worried when the British Parliament refused to back an attack on Syria."
"If George Washington had worried about what the British Parliament wanted, we all would be driving on the left side of the road today," Bad Roger said. "And have bad teeth."
"This decision to go to Congress has badly split this administration," said Bad Roger. "I saw John Kerry the other day, and I said, 'Why the long face?'"
"I can say anything," Bad Roger said. "I'm Bad Roger."
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sen. Ayotte says strategy is needed to defeat ISIS - 1
- Mass. journalist freed in Syria; kidnappers are a rival group of Foley's murderers - 0
- Close to a thousand people remember James Foley at service in Rochester - 1
- Brian’s Ride Home benefits Afghanistan veteran - 0
- U.S. opens criminal probe into death - 0
- News veteran Balboni says Foley 'found his calling' covering war zones. - 0
- Israeli air strike kills three Hamas commanders in Gaza - 0
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 31
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
KSC field hockey first in coaches poll
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate