Roger Simon: On Syria, Good Roger vs Bad Roger
"We must stop the needless, senseless, indefensible murder of children," Good Roger said. "The United States must act to stop the slaughter of the innocent."
"I am talking about Syria!" Good Roger shouted. "We must protect the children of Syria."
"But Syria doesn't have the Second Amendment. So we can kill Syrians to keep them from killing other Syrians!"
Good Roger is the decent, sincere, well-meaning side of me. Nobody much likes him.
Bad Roger is the snarky, sarcastic, cynical side of me. People often buy him drinks.
Good Roger has kept the book ever since he heard that George Will never goes on TV without deft and witty quotations written on his shirt sleeves.
"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action," Bad Roger said.
"Yes, from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe," Bad Roger said.
"Is he an American?" Good Roger asked.
"No, a foreigner, so you can bomb him with impunity," Bad Roger said. "He also has been dead for 181 years."
"Can we stop talking about this?" Bad Roger said. "There is a 'Duck Dynasty' marathon on A&E that I don't want to miss."
"I am not done quoting," Good Roger said. "'Speak softly and carry a big stick.' Teddy Roosevelt said that 112 years ago this week."
"Congress is a cornerstone of democracy!" Good Roger said.
"It has a lower approval rating than bad breath. And President Obama decides to turn over his foreign policy to Congress for its approval? Pure folly."
"In Libya, Obama led from behind," Bad Roger said. "In Syria, Obama is letting a bunch of behinds lead him."
"President Obama grew very worried when the British Parliament refused to back an attack on Syria."
"If George Washington had worried about what the British Parliament wanted, we all would be driving on the left side of the road today," Bad Roger said. "And have bad teeth."
"This decision to go to Congress has badly split this administration," said Bad Roger. "I saw John Kerry the other day, and I said, 'Why the long face?'"
"I can say anything," Bad Roger said. "I'm Bad Roger."
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Congress approves arming Syrian rebels, funding government - 1
- Obama vows U.S. will not fight ground war - 1
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- U.S. hits Islamic State south of Baghdad in first strike under new Obama orders - 0
- Britain cautious after another hostage beheading - 0
- Top Republicans back Obama's plan to fight ISIS - 1
- Obama to expand airstrikes to Syria, vows to destroy Islamic State 'wherever they exist' - 43
- Gov. Hassan orders flags to half-staff to mark 9/11 anniversary - 1
- U.S. expands attacks on Islamic State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 10
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over