Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Late field goal lifts Patriots in season opener
Brady went 29-of-52 for 288 yards and threw both of his scoring passes to Julian Edelman, who had seven catches for 79 yards. Shane Vereen rushed for 101 yards and added 58 receiving yards for the Patriots (1-0), who improved to 19-1 in their last 20 meetings with the Bills.
EJ Maunel completed 18-of-27 passes for 150 yards and two touchdowns in his NFL debut for Buffalo (0-1), who gave themselves a chance by forcing three turnovers.
New England jumped out to an early lead when Brady hit Edelman in the back of the end zone with a 9-yard scoring strike 4:14 into the contest. The Bills closed within 10-7 off a turnover with 8:25 left in the half after Da'Norris Searcy picked up a fumble and ran it back 74 yards for a score.
Buffalo took advantage of another turnover to close to within 17-14 at the half and went to a full no-huddle look out of the locker room, marching 80 yards in less than four minutes and taking their first lead of the day on Manuel's 18-yard pass to Stevie Johnson. The Patriots missed out on a scoring opportunity when Brady fumbled at the goal line later in the third and settled for a field goal to close within 21-20 with 10:48 left.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Patriots WR Danny Amendola (groin) left the game in the second quarter but returned shortly after the half. He led the New England receiving corps with 10 catches for 104 yards. … Patriots RB Stevan Ridley started the game but was lifted after the fumble that led to Searcy's score. … The teams combined for 28 of the 31 total points in the first half off turnovers.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Champagne dream leads to job applicant’s arrest - 1
- Wanted Vermont man evading capture allegedly tried to run over officer - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- AG: Failed suicide attempt led to expectant couple's deaths - 5
- Glitches tied to Medicaid rollout now resolved, officials say - 0
- Rockingham County Attorney files lawsuit to access office, but doors remain locked - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Former Ambassador Bolton criticizes Kuster's 'lack of knowledge' on Libya - 3
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Top NH political pros to head new Boston office of nationally-known consulting firm
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Driver was trying to kill himself