Home » News » Public Safety
Deerfield celebrates firefighters' new engine
Deerfield selectmen and firefighters show off the department's newest fire engine, which cost roughly $500,000 and 18 months to build. (BENJAMIN KLEIN PHOTO)
Fire Chief Mark Tibbits said he is ecstatic to get the new engine, which was built by Valley Fire Equipment in Bradford. He said not only will it make the town safer but also help keep insurance costs down.
Approved through a series of warrant articles, the $434,000 engine has been under construction at Valley since May 2012.
"I thought we should make a big deal about this, to show the taxpayers where their money went, because we don't do this every day. The Board of Selectmen wanted to make it clear that the town paid for this, that this is their piece of equipment," said Steve Barry, chairman of the Board of Selectmen.
"We weren't planning on testing the water pump until Friday," Tibbits said. "But we couldn't help ourselves."
"It will be a multi-purpose engine. It will do everything and be the first or second engine to respond to incidents," Tibbits said.
"That is important, because we will probably have to get a new tanker in a couple years," Barry said.
Not everyone at the unveiling was as happy as selectmen and firefighters.
"I understand that Deerfield needed it, but at the same time this town is becoming too expensive for many people to live. There needs to be a balance between getting equipment we need and keeping taxes affordable," Alexander said. "But the truck is spiffy."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help