Home » News » Public Safety
Deerfield celebrates firefighters' new engine
Deerfield selectmen and firefighters show off the department's newest fire engine, which cost roughly $500,000 and 18 months to build. (BENJAMIN KLEIN PHOTO)
Fire Chief Mark Tibbits said he is ecstatic to get the new engine, which was built by Valley Fire Equipment in Bradford. He said not only will it make the town safer but also help keep insurance costs down.
Approved through a series of warrant articles, the $434,000 engine has been under construction at Valley since May 2012.
"I thought we should make a big deal about this, to show the taxpayers where their money went, because we don't do this every day. The Board of Selectmen wanted to make it clear that the town paid for this, that this is their piece of equipment," said Steve Barry, chairman of the Board of Selectmen.
"We weren't planning on testing the water pump until Friday," Tibbits said. "But we couldn't help ourselves."
"It will be a multi-purpose engine. It will do everything and be the first or second engine to respond to incidents," Tibbits said.
"That is important, because we will probably have to get a new tanker in a couple years," Barry said.
Not everyone at the unveiling was as happy as selectmen and firefighters.
"I understand that Deerfield needed it, but at the same time this town is becoming too expensive for many people to live. There needs to be a balance between getting equipment we need and keeping taxes affordable," Alexander said. "But the truck is spiffy."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
- Weare residents turn out to express police department concerns - 1
- Tamworth man struck, killed by UPS truck - 0
- Two boys rescued from Hood Pond - 1
- Woman killed in Nashua crash - 0
- Wednesday night Derry blaze under investigation - 0
- Gunfire from police range disturbs Plaistow neighbors - 1
- Cause of Ashland fire investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 0
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 0
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 0
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Football: Wildcats are CAA champs
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH