Off to Spain
Hollis-Brookline Rotary sends Timberlane Regional student to Spain
Timberlane Regional High School junior Meg Miller will spend the year studying in Seville, Spain. (COURTESY)
Because the district does not have a formal student exchange program, Miller’s trip is being sponsored by the Hollis-Brookline Rotary Club. However, Miller said she is hoping her trip will help pave the way for the district to establish an exchange program in the future.
“Two years ago I had the idea that instead of going abroad in college, it might be possible in high school,” she said.
Miller said studying abroad was not an option through the school district or the local Rotary Club.
“I’ll be taking classes with other students and will be completely immersed in Spanish,” she said. “The city has 1.5 million people, so it’s obviously very different from our towns. That’s part of the idea, to go someplace completely different.”
“That’s very new by European standards,” said Miller.
The school year in Seville is about the same length as the school year in New Hampshire, and Miller said she will be returning home next summer.
“It doesn’t just have an effect on us as students, it also has an effect on the community, the families and the schools,” she said.
“We are very proud of you,” he told Miller. “You will bring so much back to us.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- NH man's wife flies to Rome, meets Pope Francis after giving birth on death row in Sudan - 2
- Manchester postpones Fourth of July celebration - 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate