Home » News » Roads and Travel
Chesterfield’s Rtes. 9 & 63 intersection a safety concern for town officials
The decision was made last month and the board has just sent the request, said Town Administrator Rick Carrier.
Many motorists traveling the major east-west highway of Route 9, though, are unaware of the danger when they approach.
“The posted speed limit is 50 miles per hour through there and people sometimes go faster than that,” Carrier said.
But it is common for motorist to shoot straight across Route 9 without stopping. The intersection can also be dangerous when Route 9 traffic is traveling too fast to react to slowed, stopped or crossing traffic at the intersection, Carrier said.
The Select Board members are hoping DOT would give the OK to their idea that a flashing red light be installed facing Route 63 traffic to reinforce the stop there, with a flashing yellow light for Route 9 traffic to indicate motorists should be cautious, Carrier said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 16
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 8
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
- Manchester Monarchs beat Portland Pirates in shootout - 0
- Wildcats shut down Black Bears again - 0
- U.S. preparing for grueling World Cup - 0
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
Casino for NH wins critical endorsement
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges