Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Monadnock Conservancy plans to add to California Brook Natural Area in Keene
Anne McBride, Monadnock Conservancy land protection director, said the idea of creating the corridor of open land came out of a 1998 workshop. Since then, easements have created the corridor piece by piece, but this new swath of protected land would fill in a gap between Pisgah State Park and Keene, she said.
A couple owns the three parcels that make up 688 acres that sit in Keene, Chesterfield and Swanzey. Most of the land, 552 acres, sits in Keene and Swanzey.
About 97 percent of the land is ranked Tier I in terms of high ranking habitat, according to New Hampshire Fish and Game.“This corridor is within the largest unfragmented forest block in the southern part of the state,” McBride said.
Monadnock Conservancy is currently in the process of seeking funds from Chesterfield, Keene and Swanzey to help fund the project, McBride said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hundred Nights Shelter is holding its first annual Holiday Auction this Dec. - 0
- Derry places 'Giving Tree' in Municipal Center - 0
- Former Londonderry student sails into Navy career aboard the USS Lincoln - 0
- Frisella Fine Art Studio in Candia to hold open house - 0
- Ballet superstar Misty Copeland joins local dancers in Nutcracker - 0
- AC/DC Tribute Band to rock Rochester Opera House - 0
- Memorial recalls church fire, while calling to mind those lost to AIDS - 0
- Reunion of sisters mirrors impact of WWII - 0
- Grammy-winning conductor at helm of 'Nutcracker' orchestra - 0
NH's fishing industry staggered
Whiskey jacks and camp at Unknown Pond