Home » News » Public Safety
Elderly tenant evicted from Manchester apartment for smoking
Gerald Pilotte speaks to Manchester police Officer Fred Gillis during the eviction Wednesday from the Manchester Housing and Redevelopment Authority apartment where he has lived for decades. (MARK HAYWARD / UNION LEADER)
The deputies eventually returned Pilotte, who is about 80, to the apartment. After social workers conferred with officials from the Manchester Housing and Redevelopment Authority, Manchester police officers drove Pilotte to an assisted living facility on Prospect Street.
By the late afternoon, neighbors said Pilotte had returned to his apartment and kicked open the door. Police arrived a couple of hours later and brought him back to Washington Manor, said neighbor John Brady.
"He's his own person. There's no way I could keep him," Ventresca said. "He's having a hard time making the transition."
She said she's had issues with Pilotte. He used to bang on her door and ask her to call the housing authority. Once he came to her door naked, she said.
"All his mental faculties aren't there anymore," said Brady, who added he didn't like the eviction.
"Sometimes, we have to make very difficult decisions that are unsavory to us," he said. "We're in the business of housing people, not unhousing them."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- 2 motorcycle riders hurt in Laconia collision - 0
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee
LNG plant put 'on hold'