Home » News » Public Safety
Heavy downpour blamed for collapse of vacant Bethlehem buiilding
?We're getting ready to take the whole building down,? Fire Chief Jack Anderson said Friday morning.
He said about two inches of rain fell in a half-hour Thursday night, causing the already deteriorating and leaking roof to collapse into the third and then the second floors, where water had pooled from the downpour.
?A little more of it came down at 2:30 a.m.? today, he said.
The 50-by-150-foot building, erected in the late 1800s, has been vacant for several years but previously housed a pizza parlor and multiple businesses, according to Anderson.
A crew from Spears Brothers Building and Wrecking in Laconia is on its way to demolish the building.
Anderson said he expected the building, which is four stories in one section, and three in another, will be on the ground by the end of the day although the rubble will not be cleared out.
The building is located near the juncture of Routes 142 and 302. A section of Route 302 was closed down as a safety precaution.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- 2 motorcycle riders hurt in Laconia collision - 0
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH