Keene dam OK after heavy rainfall caused concerns it might breach
About 7 p.m., the city's Emergency Operation Center (EOC) was activated to assess and monitor the situation.
Public Works staff continued to monitor the water levels and the fire department was called in to help pump water out of the pond and into storm drains.
Residents in the immediate area were alerted to the situation.
City engineers, with the assistance of the state Department of Environmental Services Dam Bureau, inspected the dam and deemed its condition safe.
As the rain tapered off and with the water being pumped out of the pond, the water levels subsided, eliminating the earlier threat of the dam rupturing.
About 11:30 p.m., the EOC was terminated and pumping operations ceased. Public Works staff remained at the site through the night to keep an eye on the dam and the water level.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner