Keene dam OK after heavy rainfall caused concerns it might breach
About 7 p.m., the city's Emergency Operation Center (EOC) was activated to assess and monitor the situation.
Public Works staff continued to monitor the water levels and the fire department was called in to help pump water out of the pond and into storm drains.
Residents in the immediate area were alerted to the situation.
City engineers, with the assistance of the state Department of Environmental Services Dam Bureau, inspected the dam and deemed its condition safe.
As the rain tapered off and with the water being pumped out of the pond, the water levels subsided, eliminating the earlier threat of the dam rupturing.
About 11:30 p.m., the EOC was terminated and pumping operations ceased. Public Works staff remained at the site through the night to keep an eye on the dam and the water level.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Flooding closes PSU fields, local business - 0
- Colebrook almost became an island Tuesday night - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures - 0
- Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH - 1
- With rain on the way, flooding potential eyed - 0
- Londonderry classrooms flooded - 0
- Spring roads make the going tough - 0
- Water damage displaces North Elementary classrooms - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales