Keene dam OK after heavy rainfall caused concerns it might breach
About 7 p.m., the city's Emergency Operation Center (EOC) was activated to assess and monitor the situation.
Public Works staff continued to monitor the water levels and the fire department was called in to help pump water out of the pond and into storm drains.
Residents in the immediate area were alerted to the situation.
City engineers, with the assistance of the state Department of Environmental Services Dam Bureau, inspected the dam and deemed its condition safe.
As the rain tapered off and with the water being pumped out of the pond, the water levels subsided, eliminating the earlier threat of the dam rupturing.
About 11:30 p.m., the EOC was terminated and pumping operations ceased. Public Works staff remained at the site through the night to keep an eye on the dam and the water level.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ice-out on WInnipesaukee expected by late next week - 0
- Mid-April freezing and flooding give Granite Staters a rude awakening - 0
- Flooding closes PSU fields, local business - 0
- Colebrook almost became an island Tuesday night - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures - 0
- Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH - 1
- With rain on the way, flooding potential eyed - 0
- Londonderry classrooms flooded - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH library halts book disposal after complaints - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified race was top shelf - 0
- Manchester school official points to 7 weapons cases not brought to conduct committee - 0
- Edie Loeb Tomasko dies, leaves UpReach Therapeutic Riding Center legacy - 0
- Witt named UNH women’s hockey coach - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Lacrosse: Bedford boys remains focused on third title - 0
- Fisher Cats steal home, beat New Britain - 0
- Executive Council vote: Centralized immunization registry becoming a reality - 0
- Littleton music store still playing the right notes - 0
New Hampshire Club Notes
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison