Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Salty adds to Yankees' wounds with grand slam in Red Sox win
Stephen Drew doubled in two runs and Daniel Nava added an RBI single and scored for the Red Sox, who lead the American League East by 8 1/2 games over the Tampa Bay Rays.
Brandon Workman (6-3) got the win in relief of John Lackey as Boston improved to 11-6 against the Yankees this season. Robinson Cano went 4-for-4 with a run scored and two RBIs as New York slipped 2 games behind the Rays in the race for the second AL wild card.
Hiroki Kuroda (11-11) surrendered a leadoff single in the seventh before yielding to the bullpen.
Cesar Cabral hit the only batter he faced and Preston Claiborne walked Johnny Gomes to load the bases before Saltalamacchia drove a 0-1 fastball over the bullpen in right-center two batters later.
Boston jumped on top quickly with four runs in the first inning, capped by Drew's double off the left-field wall.
The Yankees began to fight back on Brendan Ryan's solo home run in the third and Lyle Overbay's sacrifice fly in the sixth before Cano's bases-loaded double in the seventh knotted it up.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Lackey was charged with four runs on seven hits in 6 1/3 innings. He owns a 5.76 ERA against the Yankees this season and 3.19 against everyone else. Kuroda lasted six-plus innings and was charged with five runs on eight hits. ... Koji Uehara struck out one in a perfect ninth and extended his team record to 37 straight batters retired. ... New York CF Brett Gardner was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain in his rib cage and is expected to be out for a lengthy period of time.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0