NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Bedford gets double-overtime winner
Minutes earlier, Heald had a chance to end the game on a penalty kick but Merrimack goalkeeper Mike Guest dove to his left to stop the shot.
The match was evenly played with neither team was able to generate much offense.
The best scoring chance during regulation came off the foot of Bedford junior forward Brett Squires, who rang a shot off the post at the 20-minute mark.
Merrimack’s best scoring chance came with about 19 minutes left in the second from James Oswald.
After taking a looping over-the-shoulder pass, Oswald broke in on net but Bedford defender Joshua Leary was able to harass him enough for his shot to miss the goal.
Briggs squared a pass to Brett Squires at the top of the 18-yard box that was deflected over the net with less than nine minutes to go.
“Both teams had their chances” said Farnsworth.
“It’s a relief” said Bedford (2-1) coach Stewart Pepper. “After the letdown of that penalty kick our guys found a way to finish.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
Sales of new limited edition ‘Old Man’ liquor bottles will help fund Hall of Flags restoration projectREADER COMMENTS: 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan