Home » Sports » College Sports
At UNH's Cowell Stadium, prepare for the night life
Lights will be installed at Cowell Stadium as part a renovation project that is due to be completed in time for the 2014 season, the school announced late on Friday afternoon.
The work will be funded by $1.5 million that was included as part of a capital budget passed this summer, said State Sen. Lou D'Allesandro, who helped get the funds.
"It's a first-class university and it deserves first-class facilities," said D'Allesandro, who graduated from the school in 1961 and was a captain of the football team in 1960. "Those (Cowell Stadium) facilities aren't any better than when I played over 50 years ago. This is a step in the right direction. We've got to do more for that university."
The repairs and improvements are phase one of a future expansion of the stadium site, UNH director of athletics Marty Scarano said in a release.
"Hopefully this is a catalytic agent to get more involved in giving," D'Allesandro said. "We're moving in the right direction."
His organization sponsors high schools sports and championships, and he has been in discussions with Scarano and D'Allesandro about bringing the football title games to Cowell.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Since Day 1, a focus on excellence for Penmen - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Once more, with even more feeling - 0
- NH College Roundup: Dartmouth basketball team rips Maine - 0
- Dartmouth hockey team tops Harvard for first victory - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Defense drives Wildcats' bus -- all the way to Orono - 1
- Men's Hockey: DeSmith posts shutout as Wildcats sweep Colorado College - 0
- College Football: Complete victory sees UNH move on in FCS playoffs - 1
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU falls in PAL/Stovepipe hockey play - 0
- NH College Notebook: Six SNHU men's soccer players named to All-East Region team - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Fourth-graders ‘experience’ Ellis Island
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Copper stolen from old Salem school
Two in Keene robbed at home
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list