Merrimack River salmon program’s run is done
Only 22 salmon were counted at a key spot in the Merrimack River this summer — the Essex Fish Dam in Lawrence, Mass. — compared to 400 two years earlier. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service ended a similar program on the Connecticut River last summer.
“It’s the fish that attracts public attention. It’s at the top of the food chain. “It’s sort of like the (bald) eagle in the fish world,” Embley said.
“While the science is driving our decision, our declining budgets hastened it. We need to prioritize,” said Wendi Weber, the Service’s Northeast regional director, in prepared remarks.
He said recent stockings amounted to about 500,000 fry in the Pemigewasset and Souhegan rivers, small in comparison to the 2.5 million fry in the early 2000s.
Public Service of New Hampshire spokesman Martin Murray said the utility installed the $4 million ladder in 1989 at the urging of federal and state officials. While salmon benefited, the ladder was installed primarily for American shad and river herrings, Murray said.
Embley said the announcement upends a promise by a policy committee of New Hampshire, Massachusetts and federal officials to keep the Atlantic salmon program going until 2015.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone - 0
- Former mini-golf course to transform into botanical gardens - 0
- Flash mob stands as one in Manchester for campaign to end childhood homelessness - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Danbury Grange plans fair, 'Living Sustainably' session - 0
- Gov. Hassan signs ATV bills, opens new North Country connector trail - 0
- The band Live return this October with new album, 'The Turn' - 0
- 2014 marks the 20th year of AmeriCorps programs - 0
- Billy Idol will release 'Kings & Queens of the Underground' on October 21 - 0
- Exhibit serves as 'Witness' to Civil Rights Movement - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you