Merrimack River salmon program’s run is done
Only 22 salmon were counted at a key spot in the Merrimack River this summer — the Essex Fish Dam in Lawrence, Mass. — compared to 400 two years earlier. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service ended a similar program on the Connecticut River last summer.
“It’s the fish that attracts public attention. It’s at the top of the food chain. “It’s sort of like the (bald) eagle in the fish world,” Embley said.
“While the science is driving our decision, our declining budgets hastened it. We need to prioritize,” said Wendi Weber, the Service’s Northeast regional director, in prepared remarks.
He said recent stockings amounted to about 500,000 fry in the Pemigewasset and Souhegan rivers, small in comparison to the 2.5 million fry in the early 2000s.
Public Service of New Hampshire spokesman Martin Murray said the utility installed the $4 million ladder in 1989 at the urging of federal and state officials. While salmon benefited, the ladder was installed primarily for American shad and river herrings, Murray said.
Embley said the announcement upends a promise by a policy committee of New Hampshire, Massachusetts and federal officials to keep the Atlantic salmon program going until 2015.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Danville stonemason John Wilder sees potential in every rock - 0
- Annual Witch Way 5K returns to Bedford - 0
- Thousands flock to Berlin's annual RiverFire Festival - 0
- Despite accidental shooting, officials say mandatory education has made hunting safer - 3
- Hunters report 33 percent success rate in opening weekend of 2014 moose season - 0
- Edmund P. Daley remembered as a strong supporter of the Santa Fund - 0
- Head of YWCA New Hampshire leaving post - 0
- James Foley's parents accept award after documentary screening in Portsmouth - 0
- Mount Jasper work celebrated with trailhead ceremony - 0
Head of YWCA New Hampshire leaving post
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Win tickets to see the Amazing Nano Brothers
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar