Parking gets personal in NH communities with electronic meters
In Manchester, use of the new parking system is due to begin next week. It is already used in Dover and Portsmouth.
The module is set for the maximum time allowed for a particular spot, and counts off the time used until it is either turned off by its owner or registers a violation flag.
Car owners periodically connect the device to their home computers through a USB cord to add money to their account and download the latest fees, time limits and extend coverage to any new communities added to the parking consortium.
"We have over 470 subscribers in Portsmouth alone," said Cocchiaro. "We very small footprint of metered parking spaces in the downtown, about 600 yards by 600 yards."
Easypark is the product of OTI America, an Israeli-owned company. New Hampshire is one of the company's targeted markets in the United States. In Israel, a similar product is in use in 37 municipalities, a company spokeswoman said.
"It's fabulous, it is extremely well received for the convenience by the user," said city parking manager Bill Simons. "It benefits the city because we reduce coin collections at our meters, the use of supplies, wear and tear of the mechanisms, we get 100 percent of our income from the parking, we don't lose a percentage to the company."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test