Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Manchester man who shot victim in face sentenced to 14 to 30 years
Hebert was originally charge with second-degree murder in the shooting death of the 21-year-old Samniego at Ferry and South Main streets at 3 a.m. July 17, 2011.
Hebert pleaded to the manslaughter charge last month in Hillsborough County Superior Court North.
Judge David Garfunkel said the sentence is intended as a message to the community about the consequences of the reckless use of firearms.
Garfunkel said the two men were strangers, and although Samniego was drunk and insulted Hebert, he was unarmed.
All Hebert had to do was drive away, said Garfunkel, but he circled back and shot Samniego at close range. Only then did Hebert drive away, leaving Samniego to die on the pavement.
Hebert was credited with 790 days of pretrial confinement and can apply for a suspension of the remainder of his sentence after serving two-thirds of the minimum.
He must also pay restitution for burial expenses and must have no contact with the victim's family.
Hebert was originally indicted on two second-degree murder charges, one alleging he recklessly caused Samniego's death, the other that he knowingly did so. He had been scheduled for trial, but pleaded guilty to manslaughter Aug. 19, in a so-called "naked plea" with no agreement on sentencing.
Defense attorneys Caroline Smith and Eric Raymond suggested the man they say is a model prisoner at the Valley Street Jail, serving as a mentor to other prisoners and a model even for corrections officers, should be sentenced to as little as five years.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Claremont man indicted on two charges of arson - 0
- Police hunt pair they believe attacked couple at Rochester motel - 0
- Phone evidence likely allowed in Hampstead home invasion trial - 0
- Grand jury indicts one of three men accused in murder of Madbury teen - 0
- Piano teacher wants statement tossed before sex assault trial - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 25
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483