BRISTOL — A Newfound Area School District study committee will likely recommend that Danbury stay in the district when the committee meets again on Oct. 15.
Also, the district announced that the new superintendent will make a formal recommendation on a request from residents in Bridgewater and Hebron to make their school into a kindergarten through grade 8 school by the end of November.
The 14-member study committee, made up of school board members and selectmen from each of the district’s towns — Alexandria, Bridgewater, Bristol, Danbury, Groton, Hebron, and New Hampton — studied a formal request made by Danbury voters at town meeting to study the costs and changes required for a town to leave a school district.
Danbury residents, who overwhelmingly approved the request in March, were concerned about their future in the Newfound district.
Danbury presently has a K-5 elementary school and sends its K-8 students to Newfound Middle School. Town residents last year heard news of a district plan to move Danbury’s fifth-grade students to the middle school as a cost-saving measure, but that plan was dropped when Danbury residents protested.
The committee, particularly its Danbury members, has decided that it is “feasible but not suitable” for the town to leave the district, mostly because of the administrative resources required to operate independently, said School Board Chairman Vincent Paul Migliore.
The district’s new superintendent, Stacy Buckley, will address the other withdrawal issue facing the district, the request from parents to keep their grade 6-8 students in the towns by changing the Bridgewater-Hebron Village School from a K-5 to a K-8.
That option is feasible, as the school is big enough to handle the extra students, Migliore said, but it may not be practical.
“The parents’ request remains under consideration, but is expected to be addressed (by Buckley) prior to Thanksgiving,” he said.