Home » News » Politics » Election 2013
Manchester primary: Mayor's race a little closer than expected
Alderman Patrick Arnold won 41 percent of the vote, while incumbent Mayor Ted Gatsas was 56 percent. A third candidate, Glenn Ouellette won 3 percent of the vote.
The Arnold campaign quickly seized on the results.
"Tonight's results really speak to the power of the grassroots, and to what we can accomplish as a city if we work together," Arnold said in a statement. "That's how we are going to win this race, and that is how I will lead as mayor."
In the eight other city races for alderman and school board, all the incumbents who ran survived, but Ward 10 Aldermen Phil Greazzo, with 265 votes, was the runner-up against Bill Barry, who won 313 votes.
Incumbent Ward 2 school board member Debra Gagnon Langton won 414 votes; she'll face Sarah Browning, who won 247 votes. Carol-Ann Giovanni won 81.
Incumbent Ward 9 Alderman Barbara Shaw won 336 votes; she'll face Victoria Sullivan, who got 145 votes. The runners-up were Timothy Sawyer with 96 and Russell Spaulding with 52.
For Ward 12 school board, Christine Duffley was the top vote-getter with 239; she'll face Constance "Connie" VanHouten, who had 214. Joel Elber won 136 votes.
He'll face Keith Hirschmann, who won 215. Dick Marston got 168 votes.
In the special election for Ward 7, District 14 state representative, Democrat Mary Heath beat Republican Ross Terrio, 350 to 311.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newly elected Manchester school board member sues ex-employer, the city school district, over firing - 26
- Beauchamp to seek recount in Manchester Ward 12 alderman race - 1
- Manchester Mayor Gatsas: I kept it positive in election campaign - 13
- Mayor's salary hike proposal called factor in city charter defeat - 4
- Winning Nashua Board of Education candidates weigh Common Core effect - 1
- Election marks a new era in Nashua - 0
- Claremont reelects incumbents, approves charter commission - 0
- Mix-up changes outcome of Dover school board race: Soule McCammon wins - 0
- Editor of free newspaper elected mayor of Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released