Plan to repair earthquake-damaged Epping hall on hold
Epping's historic Watson Academy in Epping remains closed after last October's earthquake. (JASON SCHREIBER/Union Leader Correspondent)
The decision was made days after the town's insurer, Local Government Center, informed the town that it would offer some money to make repairs, but only after engineers take a closer look at the building and sign off on the repair plan.
Selectmen narrowed the scope of the repairs in recent months and sent the project out to bid. Two proposals were returned a few weeks ago, both with a price tag of around $40,000.
Fire Chief Don DeAngelis urged selectmen to move ahead with the engineering study from a safety standpoint, especially since the building is a place of public assembly.
The town spent nearly $10,000 on an engineering study immediately after the quake, but SFC Engineering Partnership Inc. of Auburn — the firm hired to prepare the report — indicated that a more thorough study would be needed.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and selectmen acknowledged that it has historic value to the town.
"I would say I'm really getting frustrated," said Carol Clapp, the committee's co-chairman.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change