Plan to repair earthquake-damaged Epping hall on hold
Epping's historic Watson Academy in Epping remains closed after last October's earthquake. (JASON SCHREIBER/Union Leader Correspondent)
The decision was made days after the town's insurer, Local Government Center, informed the town that it would offer some money to make repairs, but only after engineers take a closer look at the building and sign off on the repair plan.
Selectmen narrowed the scope of the repairs in recent months and sent the project out to bid. Two proposals were returned a few weeks ago, both with a price tag of around $40,000.
Fire Chief Don DeAngelis urged selectmen to move ahead with the engineering study from a safety standpoint, especially since the building is a place of public assembly.
The town spent nearly $10,000 on an engineering study immediately after the quake, but SFC Engineering Partnership Inc. of Auburn — the firm hired to prepare the report — indicated that a more thorough study would be needed.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and selectmen acknowledged that it has historic value to the town.
"I would say I'm really getting frustrated," said Carol Clapp, the committee's co-chairman.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
- Concord postpones fireworks to Saturday - 0
- LIghtning strike sends Epping house up in flames - 0
- Weather warnings push fireworks to Saturday in Rochester - 0
- Threat of thunderstorms pushes Dover fireworks to Sunday - 0
- Weather could lead to fireworks postponement in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH