Police urge drivers to enjoy the view, but not stop to take photos of flowers
The sunflowers and other wildflowers were planted in beds at seven sites as part of an ongoing beautification effort by the state Department of Transportation.
Turns out sunflowers weren't on the list the state put together when the planting project was awarded to Brochu Nurseries and Landscaping in Concord.
But that bonus has also come with an unintended consequence.
While they make for a great photograph, state police and highway officials are urging people to enjoy the sunflowers while driving by.
Just last week, a state trooper on Route 101 noticed someone standing in the median with a camera; he stopped to move him along.
The sunflowers are among the flowers blooming along Interstate 93 in Lincoln and Tilton, Interstate 89 in Hopkinton and Springfield, Route 12 in North Charlestown, and in the area of Exit 11 on the Everett Turnpike in Merrimack.
Leah Brochu, who owns the nursery with her husband, said the company gave the seed specifications to its supplier, American Meadows of Williston, Vt.
Giunta said the flower beds cost about $150,000 and are paid for through the state's conservation license plate/moose plate program.
"It's not tax dollars. It's funded by the people who buy the plates," Giunta said.
"The department is well aware of the fact that tourism is very important for New Hampshire," Giunta said.
The plantings resumed when money from the moose plate program became available a few years later.
"Indeed the sunflowers caught my eye and as I passed the patch of sunflowers I caught myself smiling at such a nice surprise. Being a lover of flowers I'm all for beautifying our already green beautiful state with the flowers and a smile or two that they bring," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senior News: Donation made to help Families First expand dental care for seniors - 0
- Thousands gather for Marlborough's annual town-wide celebration - 0
- Kids, seniors complete in inaugural DeMar races in Keene over weekend - 0
- Hudson girl and her family continue race against time - 0
- Free Outdoor Adventure Talk – Hunting Dominant Bucks - 0
- MOTÖRHEAD Invites Fans to Make Official "Killed By Death" Video - 0
- EXODUS: Guitar World Premieres Third Bonus DVD Trailer - 0
- Pats Peak Ski Team enrollment has begun for the 2014/15 season - 0
- STS9 To Kick Off 'Autumn Tour 2014' October 9 in Indianapolis and Ring In 2015 With Three Shows in Denver - 0
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance