Home » News » Public Safety
Tractor-trailer wheel bounces off State Police cruiser into I-93 traffic, killing woman
A tarp covers a vehicle in the southbound lane of Route 93 in Hooksett, at the scene of an accident that happened during the morning commute, just south of the Hooksett rest area. (THOMAS ROY)
The state police cruiser involved in this morning's crash sits on the northbound side of Interstate 93 in Hooksett. (Thomas Roy)
It was later located in a rest area off Interstate 95 in Maine. Something sprang a full wheel assembly from the trailer and it rolled or bounced into the other lane, striking an unmarked state police cruiser driven by state police director Col. Robert Quinn and rebounding back into southbound traffic around 8:10 a.m.
"You're talking about a tire and hub assembly that probably weighs quite a bit and also has all the inertia. It's not just a rubber tire," Conte said during a news conference.
The wheel struck a southbound sport-utility vehicle, causing fatal injuries to the driver, identified as Kerry Anderson-Baker, 40, of Concord.
State police identified the driver of the truck as Alan Condon, 51, of Oakfield, Maine. The truck is owned by Crawford Homes of Houlton, Maine.
Conte said New Hampshire authorities are working with officials from Maine to have the truck returned to the state for inspection. Conte said the truck was followed by an escort vehicle, but he did not say if it was directly behind the trailer at the time of the accident.
"We've got a lot of people to talk to," Conte said.
Conte said although the trailer has multiple wheels, investigators believe it is unlikely the truck driver failed to notice losing one of them. Police were still searching for the truck a few hours after the accident.
"We have no information that this could have been avoided," Conte said. The truck proceeded to the tolls, where the driver paid and continued southbound. Witnesses told police the truck stopped shortly after the toll, but they did not know whether the driver got out and inspected the vehicle.
"The concern really is what happened after," said Merrimack County Attorney Scott W. Murray. Conte said a state police cruiser, parked with its blue lights on a construction site about 50 miles north in the Lebanon area, took a photograph of a tractor-trailer hauling a modular home heading south on Interstate 89 about an hour before the crash in Hooksett. Investigators believe that tractor-trailer might be the one involved in the accident.
He explained most state police cruisers are fitted with cameras which are automatically activated when the blue emergency lights are on.
State Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the crash or who has information about it or the driver of the tractor-trailer to call them at 271-3636.
(Union Leader reporter Pat Grossmith also contributed to this story.)
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- New fire training facility proposed in Nashua - 0
- 2 die in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 5
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
DWI License Revocations