Commander of American Legion tours the state
American Legion National Commander Daniel Dellinger speaks during an interview at the New Hampshire Union Leader. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
The American Legion is the nation's largest veterans service organization with 2.4 million members. It celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2018.
Post-traumatic stress syndrome and brain injury are the two most significant injuries military men and women suffer when they return from battlefields in Iraq and Afghanistan, Dellinger said.
"Suicide is a big concern facing us. We need to be there for our brothers and sisters," Dellinger added.
Unemployment among male veterans ages 18-24 is 22 percent upon their return home compared to more than 7 percent for the nation as a whole, he said.
Progress was made in the last six months to reduce claims by about 200,000; still there about 600,000 still to be processed, he said.
The New Hampshire visit is part of a nationwide tour to learn veterans concerns and assure them The American Legion will continue to be there for them.
For more information, visit www.legion.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 45
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you