Commander of American Legion tours the state
American Legion National Commander Daniel Dellinger speaks during an interview at the New Hampshire Union Leader. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
The American Legion is the nation's largest veterans service organization with 2.4 million members. It celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2018.
Post-traumatic stress syndrome and brain injury are the two most significant injuries military men and women suffer when they return from battlefields in Iraq and Afghanistan, Dellinger said.
"Suicide is a big concern facing us. We need to be there for our brothers and sisters," Dellinger added.
Unemployment among male veterans ages 18-24 is 22 percent upon their return home compared to more than 7 percent for the nation as a whole, he said.
Progress was made in the last six months to reduce claims by about 200,000; still there about 600,000 still to be processed, he said.
The New Hampshire visit is part of a nationwide tour to learn veterans concerns and assure them The American Legion will continue to be there for them.
For more information, visit www.legion.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- DAV plans meeting - 0
- Carrabba's managers get down and dirty for a good cause - 0
- American Legion national commander to visit NH - 0
- Milford's World War II fallen honored Sunday - 0
- Suicide Prevention Week: NH expert focuses on veterans - 0
- Kuster talks health services with vets, advocates - 0
- Oldest active member of NH chapter of MOAA turns 100 - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Londonderry Post 27 will host events - 0
- Gov. Perry calls on vets, other Americans to restore country - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man stabbed in leg in Manchester incident - 0
- Senate sustains Hassan veto of bill to revamp juvenile justice system - 0
- Possible negotiated plea for Nashua dad accused of negligent homicide in son's death - 0
- Amherst man facing charges in August Merrimack accident - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Brown calls on Shaheen to back bill targeting ISIS - 4
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid is identified - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Football Power Poll; Who's No. 1 this week? - 0
In 2nd District race, Garcia bucks Obamacare
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Find the hidden cash stashed downtown
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
20140915-Adam Sandler reflects on his and Chris Farley’s firing from ‘SNL': ‘It hurt a lot’
Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats