Commander of American Legion tours the state
American Legion National Commander Daniel Dellinger speaks during an interview at the New Hampshire Union Leader. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
The American Legion is the nation's largest veterans service organization with 2.4 million members. It celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2018.
Post-traumatic stress syndrome and brain injury are the two most significant injuries military men and women suffer when they return from battlefields in Iraq and Afghanistan, Dellinger said.
"Suicide is a big concern facing us. We need to be there for our brothers and sisters," Dellinger added.
Unemployment among male veterans ages 18-24 is 22 percent upon their return home compared to more than 7 percent for the nation as a whole, he said.
Progress was made in the last six months to reduce claims by about 200,000; still there about 600,000 still to be processed, he said.
The New Hampshire visit is part of a nationwide tour to learn veterans concerns and assure them The American Legion will continue to be there for them.
For more information, visit www.legion.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Brandon Ross: A sure-fire way to eradicate NH's 'spice' problem - 0
- Another View: Jeanne Shaheen was M.I.A. on VA reform - 24
- Paul Holloway: NH's community colleges prepare for a new era - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: America's selective Libertarianism - 6
- Charles Krauthammer: Why Hillary got it right - 11
- George Will: President Obama in a stew over inversions - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist