Hanover forfeits homecoming game over 'egregious' skits
Administrators announced the forfeit in a letter to parents this week, saying skits performed during the players-only celebration over the end of two-a-day practices violated the student code of conduct by objectifying women. The letter said many of the skits were sexually themed and "egregiously inappropriate."
Although not every player on the roster participated, enough members of the team were facing the sanction that Hanover could not field enough for a team tonight against the Kearsarge Cougars, leading to the forfeiture.
Athletic director Mike Jackson said a student went to a counselor with a complaint last week. Jackson also would not discuss specifics, referring questions to Bass, but said it was made clear to the players how they went wrong and why there will be no football game tonight.
Bass said Principal Justin Campbell met with the student body by class for talks on what happened and how administrators came to the decision to discipline the players.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Youth Leadership Academy will start Sept. 23 - 0
- New school year kicks off in style in Wilton/Lyndeborough - 0
- PSU recognizes 3 professors for their scholarship, service - 0
- Unity Elementary School off to late start - 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return