John Stossel: 'Progressives' often prefer war to trade
"The so-called neocons who drove us to war in Iraq actually all began in the Democratic Party. They all began as progressives," says Russell. "They supported intervention in Iraq to remake Iraq in our image, and they support intervention in Syria to do the same."
A Wall Street Journal column complained about "the isolationist worm eating its way through the Republican Party apple." On the left, Secretary of State John Kerry declared, "This is not the time for armchair isolationism."
"Isolationist" suggests that anyone who objects to killing people in foreign countries (mostly people who have never attacked us) wants to "isolate" America, withdraw from the world.
When the Soviet Union fell, conservatives said it happened because of Ronald Reagan's military buildup. OK, that played a part. But so did American music.
So let tourism flow. Let our music alarm mullahs. Let neocons donate books to the Middle East filled with ideas dictators hate. Let our cell phones expose isolated people to the wonders of the free world.
John Stossel is host of "Stossel" on the Fox Business Network, and the author of "No They Can't! Why Government Fails, but Individuals Succeed."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A man of the streets helped set up a haven for those who need it most - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Life isn't what it used to be for ER worker injured in attack involving mentally ill man - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A sewer for the century - 0
- Manchester aims to end junk king's reign - 11
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester slow to get the lead out - 5
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: These players got game – for foosball - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Reclaiming Manchester's parks - 3
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Doing the work, making a difference - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A simple man wills $176k to 5 city charities - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
A chief walks: No charges in New London