Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Lackey hurls Sox into the playoffs
Boston is assured of at least a wild card. The Red Sox’s magic number for clinching the American League East championship was two pending the result of the second-place Tampa Bay Rays’ game against the Texas Rangers.
Lackey had a no-hitter through 6 1/3 innings, but Baltimore’s first hit wasn’t a cheapie. Adam Jones clubbed an 0-1 pitch over the Green Monster.
Lackey (10-12) threw his first nine-inning complete game of the season, finishing with two walks and eight strikeouts.
The longest Lackey took a no-hitter was 8 1/3 innings for the Los Angeles Angels against the Red Sox on July 29, 2008, at Fenway Park, when Dustin Pedroia’s single broke up his bid. Before Jones’ home run, he had allowed two baserunners, on two-out walks to Brian Roberts in the third and Nate McLouth in the sixth.
The Red Sox took a three-run lead in the second. Stephen Drew hit a two-run homer over the Green Monster, driving in Jarrrod Saltalamacchia, who led off the inning with a double. Jackie Bradley Jr. doubled and scored on Dustin Pedroia’s single.
NOTES: Orioles RHP Darren O’Day returned to action for the first time since Sept. 7, retiring one batter in the eighth inning. He was sidelined because of numbness in two fingers of his right hand. ... O’s manager Buck Showalter is deciding between RHPs Miguel Gonzalez and Bud Norris for the Saturday start at Tampa Bay. Gonzalez left Sunday’s game in Toronto with a strained right groin, and Norris missed a start due to tightness in his right elbow. ... Sox RF Shane Victorino did not play. He left Wednesday’s game for a pinch hitter in the 12th inning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 3
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 2
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 9
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans