Derryfield's Young Gun
Ian Clark's Corner Kicks: Cougars' Brummett making her mark
The freshman striker for the Derryfield School of Manchester girls' soccer team has scored 16 goals in her first four high school games to lead the Cougars to a 4-0-0 start.
"Everyone knows her. Everyone knows she's coming," said Derryfield coach Jack Sanford. "What I think is unfortunate is that we don't play a lot of teams that are going to try to challenge her."
Sunapee is the only team to hold Brummett without a goal, but she still assisted on the game-winner.
"She wants to be on the pitch the whole time. She just wants to play and get better every game," Sanford said. "Part of that is going to have to come from hard practices. (The challenge) may not be there every game so we have to keep our practices strong and sharp and make sure she uses that opportunity to get better."
"She's got vision of the game that few girls have at her age," he said. "She's been coached quite well. She knows the strategy and on top of that she has the technical skill to carry it through."
"In the preseason, coming in as a freshman I had no worries," Brummett said. "They were always welcoming and I really want to send them off with a championship."
- - - - - - -
Ian Clark's Corner Kicks appears every Thursday in the New Hampshire Union Leader. Coaches with stats, notes and milestones to share can contact him at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Windham boys prevail in hoop opener - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan