Home » News » Public Safety
Hiker dies after 150-foot fall at Tuckerman Ravine
Fish and Game officials did not release the man's name saying they first had to notify family members.
The accident happened about 5:15 p.m.
The hiker was with some friends when he left the trail to get a better look at a waterfall and fill his water bottle. He slipped and fell about 150 feet landing on a small ledge about three-quarters of the way up the headwall.
Rescue personnel from the Appalachian Mountain Club, Mountain Rescue Services, Mount Washington State Park, Mount Washington Observatory and Fish and Game responded. Fellow hikers, some with medical training, rushed to the scene from as far away as the Hermit Lake shelter, providing initial medical treatment.
As soon as the gravity of the man's injuries became apparent, a National Guard Black Hawk helicopter was called to the scene. It made the flight from Concord in 25 minutes.
Fish and Game, in a news release, said the next 25 minutes ?was a harrowing display of flying in close enough to lower a rescue litter, while maintaining a safe distance away from the sheer edge of the headwall.?
Crews on the ground worked on a small, wet treacherous ledge to treat the injured man and put him into the litter, all in an attempt to save his life.
It was 7:55 p.m. when the patient was lifted into the helicopter and flown to Memorial Hospital in Conway where he was pronounced dead.
Tuckerman Ravine is located ton the southeast face of Mount Washington in the White Mountain National forest.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 9
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 2
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 7
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too