Home » News » Public Safety
Hiker dies after 150-foot fall at Tuckerman Ravine
Fish and Game officials did not release the man's name saying they first had to notify family members.
The accident happened about 5:15 p.m.
The hiker was with some friends when he left the trail to get a better look at a waterfall and fill his water bottle. He slipped and fell about 150 feet landing on a small ledge about three-quarters of the way up the headwall.
Rescue personnel from the Appalachian Mountain Club, Mountain Rescue Services, Mount Washington State Park, Mount Washington Observatory and Fish and Game responded. Fellow hikers, some with medical training, rushed to the scene from as far away as the Hermit Lake shelter, providing initial medical treatment.
As soon as the gravity of the man's injuries became apparent, a National Guard Black Hawk helicopter was called to the scene. It made the flight from Concord in 25 minutes.
Fish and Game, in a news release, said the next 25 minutes ?was a harrowing display of flying in close enough to lower a rescue litter, while maintaining a safe distance away from the sheer edge of the headwall.?
Crews on the ground worked on a small, wet treacherous ledge to treat the injured man and put him into the litter, all in an attempt to save his life.
It was 7:55 p.m. when the patient was lifted into the helicopter and flown to Memorial Hospital in Conway where he was pronounced dead.
Tuckerman Ravine is located ton the southeast face of Mount Washington in the White Mountain National forest.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police probe Dover official's fatal car crash - 0
- Fundraiser tonight to benefit injured man - 0
- No cause yet in Woodshed restaurant fire - 0
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 4
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072