Home » Sports » Motor Sports
Latest racing grudge fans passions
From left, Dave Hamm, of Attleboro, Mass., Mark Dupont, of Taunton, Mass., Dennis Hamm, of Raynham, Mass., and John Kazarian, of N. Providence, R.I., stand at attention during the National Anthem prior to the start of the first annual Speedway 5K road race during WOKQ FanFest Thursday night at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon. (JOSH GIBNEY/UNION LEADER)
Bowyer, who is among the 13 drivers chosen this year to compete in NASCAR's Chase championship, has been at the center of controversy since he allegedly spun his car at a recent race in in Richmond, Va., a move that NASCAR officials said was a deliberate attempt to help a teammmate win points.
"He did it on purpose, and that taints the race. I was going to ask him about it here, but he didn't show up."
"What he did was a load of crap," Hunter said. "The thing that bothers me is that another driver (Martin Truex Jr.) didn't make the Chase because of it."
Most at FanFest said they would still watch the race, and some thought too much was being made of the incident, which caused NASCAR to impose penalties on the drivers and crews involved.
"NASCAR made a point to everybody with the penalties, no more horsing around," said Allan Machado of Concord. "To me, the story is over, time to move on."
"But it still bugs me, with all the cheating that goes on in other sports, it definitely taints this sport, and other drivers are hurt in the process."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Windham boys prevail in hoop opener - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Police say man kept suspect at gunpoint in Nashua hospital parking lot - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
- Shaheen, Ayotte on opposite sides of procedural vote on budget compromise - 3
- Snow slows NH rush hour; cancels many evening events - 1
- Loan company and its officials accused of operating illegally in NH - 3
- Two robberies within 45 minutes in Manchester - 2
- NH ranks first in controlling infectious disease, according to report - 1
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Knife-wielding robbers target two stores in Manchester - 2
Blue Jays knuckler may be headed to NH
Most NH hospitals average on measurement of knee, hip surgery; Wentworth-Douglas among worst
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos