Home » Sports » College Sports
NH College Football: Big Green optimism
Dartmouth was picked fourth in the Ivy League Preseason Media Poll, and, like the University of New Hampshire, has two quarterbacks on its roster who received significant playing time last season: sophomore Dalyn Williams and junior Alex Park.Park, a transfer from UNH, started Dartmouth’s first seven games in 2012 before missing time with an injury. Park passed for 1,370 yards and seven touchdowns. He was intercepted six times.
Williams is listed as the starter on the two-deep chart, but Dartmouth coach Buddy Teevens has said both will play.
Senior running back Dominick Pierre, who rushed for 830 yards in nine games last season, and junior Kirby Schoenthaler, who averaged over 20 yards per kickoff return, have both been named to the watch list by the College Football Performance Awards.
- - - - - - -
THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE (1-1, 1-0 CAA) is off until Sept. 28, when the Wildcats will play a non-league game at Lehigh (2-0). Senior receiver Justin Mello, who made the team as a walk-on, has 10 receptions for 218 yards and one touchdown in two games,
“He’s a great story. Complete walk-on. Not getting recruited. We bring him to camp because somebody gets injured, and he earns a full scholarship.”
- - - - - - -
ST. ANSELM (0-2, 0-1 Northeast-10) will meet New Haven (1-1, 1-0) at home tonight. The Hawks have allowed 94 points in their first two games, losses to Bowie State (42-28) and Stonehill (52-24).
- - - - - - -
JUNIOR Rob Giles earned a spot on the MASCAC Honor Roll after he made four of five point-after kicks and a 42-yard field goal in Plymouth State’s 37-26 triumph over Mount Ida last Saturday. Giles attended Pinkerton Academy in Derry. Plymouth State (1-1) will play its first MASCAC game Saturday (1 p.m.), when the Panthers will meet Western Connecticut State (1-0) in Plymouth.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New spokesman named for Diocese of Manchester - 0
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Derry celebrates 100 years - 0
- Ararat Armenian Congregational Church in Salem celebrates 100 years, welcomes pastor - 0
- Interfaith Thanksgiving Service is Monday - 1
- Annual collection helps religious communities address retirement shortfall - 0
- Keene church to hold Colonial Thanksgiving service Sunday - 0
- New Baptist church opening in Concord - 0
- Londonderry church blesses pets - 0
- Center gets grant from bishop's fund - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up