Hanlon gets official welcome as new Dartmouth president
During his installation ceremony, Dartmouth College's new president, Philip J. Hanlon, is presented with the Wentworth Bowl by outgoing President Jim Yong Kim. (Courtesy photo)
About 3,000 people attended the event, which was held in conjunction with the college's traditional Convocation Ceremony.
The ceremony marked the start of the college's 244th year.
"President Hanlon is well-aware of the tradition of strong leadership that has helped Dartmouth College become one of the most well-known and respected learning institutions in the world," Hassan said. "A tremendous source of pride for the state of New Hampshire and our people, Dartmouth has long reflected what the people of New Hampshire have always known: Educating our young people is essential to the progress of our state and of our country.
Hanlon is the 10th Dartmouth graduate to serve as its president. He took office in July, succeeding Jim Yong Kim, who was selected to serve as president of the World Bank in April.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
- Board to vote on new graphic design program - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release