Hanlon gets official welcome as new Dartmouth president
During his installation ceremony, Dartmouth College's new president, Philip J. Hanlon, is presented with the Wentworth Bowl by outgoing President Jim Yong Kim. (Courtesy photo)
About 3,000 people attended the event, which was held in conjunction with the college's traditional Convocation Ceremony.
The ceremony marked the start of the college's 244th year.
"President Hanlon is well-aware of the tradition of strong leadership that has helped Dartmouth College become one of the most well-known and respected learning institutions in the world," Hassan said. "A tremendous source of pride for the state of New Hampshire and our people, Dartmouth has long reflected what the people of New Hampshire have always known: Educating our young people is essential to the progress of our state and of our country.
Hanlon is the 10th Dartmouth graduate to serve as its president. He took office in July, succeeding Jim Yong Kim, who was selected to serve as president of the World Bank in April.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Drew Cline: Rand Paul's coalition vs. Ted Cruz's army - 4
- Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed - 4
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 14
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: The left's arrogant groupthink - 0
- Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan - 0
- Sen. Odell won't seek re-election - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 11
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 22
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Central the early surprise in baseball ranks - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 3
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 7
- P-Bruins in fight to finish - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Dubois' homer lifts BG girls over Exeter - 0
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition
Sen. Odell won't seek re-election