Hanlon gets official welcome as new Dartmouth president
During his installation ceremony, Dartmouth College's new president, Philip J. Hanlon, is presented with the Wentworth Bowl by outgoing President Jim Yong Kim. (Courtesy photo)
About 3,000 people attended the event, which was held in conjunction with the college's traditional Convocation Ceremony.
The ceremony marked the start of the college's 244th year.
"President Hanlon is well-aware of the tradition of strong leadership that has helped Dartmouth College become one of the most well-known and respected learning institutions in the world," Hassan said. "A tremendous source of pride for the state of New Hampshire and our people, Dartmouth has long reflected what the people of New Hampshire have always known: Educating our young people is essential to the progress of our state and of our country.
Hanlon is the 10th Dartmouth graduate to serve as its president. He took office in July, succeeding Jim Yong Kim, who was selected to serve as president of the World Bank in April.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 11
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 2
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help