Charles Krauthammer: The real Navy Yard scandal
It's always the weapon and never the shooter. Twelve people are murdered in a rampage at the Washington Navy Yard, and before sundown Sen. Dianne Feinstein has called for yet another debate on gun violence. Major opprobrium is heaped on the AR-15, the semiautomatic used in the Newtown massacre.
As was the case in the Tucson shooting - instantly politicized into a gun-control and (fabricated) Tea-Party-climate-of-violence issue - the origin of this crime lies not in any politically expedient externality but in the nature of the shooter.
So here is this panic-stricken soul, psychotic and in terrible distress. And what does modern policing do for him? The cops tell him to "stay away from the individuals that are following him." Then they leave.
Had this happened 35 years ago in Boston, Alexis would have been brought to me as the psychiatrist on duty at the ER of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Were he as agitated and distressed as in the police report, I probably would have administered an immediate dose of Haldol, the most powerful fast-acting antipsychotic of the time.
I know the civil libertarian arguments. I know that involuntary commitment is outright paternalism. But paternalism is essential for children because they don't have a fully developed rational will. Do you think Alexis was in command of his will that night in Newport?
READER COMMENTS: 22
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 0
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 12
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama the oblivious - 6
- Roger Simon: What Nelson Mandela overcame - 1
- George Will: Raise the minimum wage? It's iffy - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan