Charles Krauthammer: The real Navy Yard scandal
It's always the weapon and never the shooter. Twelve people are murdered in a rampage at the Washington Navy Yard, and before sundown Sen. Dianne Feinstein has called for yet another debate on gun violence. Major opprobrium is heaped on the AR-15, the semiautomatic used in the Newtown massacre.
As was the case in the Tucson shooting - instantly politicized into a gun-control and (fabricated) Tea-Party-climate-of-violence issue - the origin of this crime lies not in any politically expedient externality but in the nature of the shooter.
So here is this panic-stricken soul, psychotic and in terrible distress. And what does modern policing do for him? The cops tell him to "stay away from the individuals that are following him." Then they leave.
Had this happened 35 years ago in Boston, Alexis would have been brought to me as the psychiatrist on duty at the ER of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Were he as agitated and distressed as in the police report, I probably would have administered an immediate dose of Haldol, the most powerful fast-acting antipsychotic of the time.
I know the civil libertarian arguments. I know that involuntary commitment is outright paternalism. But paternalism is essential for children because they don't have a fully developed rational will. Do you think Alexis was in command of his will that night in Newport?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 2
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Key NH Dems attend Lantos Foundation event honoring Clinton, White House partiesREADER COMMENTS: 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
Anderson lewdness trial is delayed