Roger Simon: Biden remains mysterious on 2016
But it was more of what he didn't say that counted.
For her, Biden had not a single word.
Is it because he intends to run against her? Or that he just forgot? Or that he couldn't name everybody in government - though Biden sometimes seems to try?
Turning to Castro, Biden said, "It seems when you come to speak at the steak fry, a whole lot of people take notice. I don't know why the hell that is. You've attracted the entire national press corps!"
At breakfast Sunday, attended by two reporters from The Washington Post and me, Castro said, "My hope is that Hillary and Biden work it out. Should we have a primary fight? Of course not!"
A 2016 primary battle between Biden and Clinton might merely be a press-driven fantasy, of course. There is no doubt both have earned the right to run, but there is no assurance that either will. And if Hillary decided to run, would her prospects of victory be so daunting that Biden wouldn't even think of challenging her?
After a goofy photo op - Harkin, Biden and Castro holding steaks on spatulas over an enormous roaring grill - a reporter asked Biden whether he is ready for 2016.
That would be nice for the Democrats but far from assured. They could lose seats in both houses rather than gain them.
But Castro was certain that time favors his party.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 13
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: The left's arrogant groupthink - 0
- Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime - 10
- Pat Buchanan: What would Reagan do with Russia, Syria, etc.? - 6
- Barbara Couch: Why NH students need Common Core's higher standards - 1
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployedREADER COMMENTS: 3
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales