Roger Simon: Biden remains mysterious on 2016
But it was more of what he didn't say that counted.
For her, Biden had not a single word.
Is it because he intends to run against her? Or that he just forgot? Or that he couldn't name everybody in government - though Biden sometimes seems to try?
Turning to Castro, Biden said, "It seems when you come to speak at the steak fry, a whole lot of people take notice. I don't know why the hell that is. You've attracted the entire national press corps!"
At breakfast Sunday, attended by two reporters from The Washington Post and me, Castro said, "My hope is that Hillary and Biden work it out. Should we have a primary fight? Of course not!"
A 2016 primary battle between Biden and Clinton might merely be a press-driven fantasy, of course. There is no doubt both have earned the right to run, but there is no assurance that either will. And if Hillary decided to run, would her prospects of victory be so daunting that Biden wouldn't even think of challenging her?
After a goofy photo op - Harkin, Biden and Castro holding steaks on spatulas over an enormous roaring grill - a reporter asked Biden whether he is ready for 2016.
That would be nice for the Democrats but far from assured. They could lose seats in both houses rather than gain them.
But Castro was certain that time favors his party.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 11
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 2
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate