Home » Sports » Sports Columns
John Habib's City Sports: City champ eyes state title
"I've been coaching for 10 seasons, and Matt is definitely the best player I've coached," said Tafe. "In his very first high school match, at Green Meadow (in Hudson), he won medalist. In his second match, at Souhegan Woods (in Amherst), he won medalist again. It just blew my mind away."
He has finished runner-up the last two seasons in the NHIAA tournament to current Texas Christian University freshman Chelso Barrett of Surry, who won New Hampshire Union Leader Athlete of the Month honors for August after reaching the round of 16 in the U.S. Amateur and winning the New Hampshire Golf Association Stroke Play Championship that month.
In June, he reached the final of NHGA Junior Championship before falling to Tom Hixon of Rye in an 18-hole match play championship flight battle. On Labor Day Weekend, he won the three-round Manchester Men's City Golf Championship, topping runner-up Jake Nutter of Bedford by seven strokes.
Paradis called the city championship the "highlight of my career so far" and said his uncle Bob Vigneault helped him maintain the kind of even keel Tafe described.
Tafe noted that few high school students have won the Manchester city title, Nutter among them.
He doesn't know yet if he'll continue playing at the college level next season.
- - - - - - -
FOR THE THIRD straight season Dick Lutsk of Manchester will be the radio voice of Dartmouth College.
"City Sports" is published Saturdays in the New Hampshire Union Leader. Email staff reporter John Habib at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 2
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
Anderson lewdness trial is delayed