Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: War photos and salty language
This is definitely where a picture is worth a thousand words, minimum. Almost all of the photos are iconic, like the one of the little girl running from a napalm attack. Some clear up misconceptions, like that same napalm photo. (Many people think it was an American air attack. It was in fact a South Vietnamese mixup.)
Okay, "BS" was actually spelled out, as two words, in fact. One was "bull."
This caught my eye, as did the fact the writer had the Moxie to identify himself, which I appreciate.
He shouldn't be. The changes mean we reduce the Saturday night printing most weeks to just two main sections, including live news and sports. It means less chance of longer press runs on a night when our carriers are delivering the biggest package of the week to readers across the state.
The realignment also puts our Sunday editorial pages in the same section as business news. This also upset my "BS" writer, though he didn't say why. It seems to me a good place for editorial commentary, but the reader said that "Bill Lobe" was going to be waiting for me in the next life and I wouldn't like it much.
Rumor has it that autumn has arrived. That means the Deerfield Fair must be coming this weekend. I think I'll take Ike, Mike, and Spike. They might have a few comments to make on the fair.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Amnesty? Garcia is against it - 84
- Newt's silence: Hemingway's missing endorsement - 7
- Who scares Shaheen? She wants to stop Scott Brown - 2
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 8
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 76
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
'Our job is to rebuild that middle class'