Derry's Pinkerton Academy looks at narrowing dress code
Pinkerton Academy students walk to classes during the opening day of school. Administrators are considering a plan that could change the dress code for the 2014-2015 school year. (HUNTER MCGEE PHOTO)
“The kids are all abuzz about this,” Dean of Students Glenn Ahrens said, adding, “There are a lot of options within those parameters.”
Ahrens said during an on-campus fashion show earlier this year, Student Council members modeled clothing that would be allowed under the proposed dress code, including polo shirts and even a sweater vest.
A parents’ meeting to discuss the dress code is set for Thursday at the school.
Despite having the word “Unified” in the name, the dress code is not a uniform, administrators said.
Pinkerton Academy students Joe Ronca and his sister, Alyssa Ronca, said they have mixed emotions about the proposed changes. “I would rather wear my own clothes to be honest, and some of the stuff they’ve given us to choose from is not the most attractive and appealing,” Alyssa Ronca, a freshman, said. “But it’s not that big of a deal. It will make getting ready easier.”Her brother is a junior.
“A lot of it is left to interpretation,” the elder Ronca said. “So I’d rather have a dress code; that way it’s cut and dried.”
“They aren’t going to the beach; they are coming to school, and they have to be dressed appropriately,” Anderson said.
“We have a dress code now, but the kids push the limits,” Anderson said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Amnesty? Garcia is against it - 84
- Newt's silence: Hemingway's missing endorsement - 7
- Who scares Shaheen? She wants to stop Scott Brown - 2
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 8
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 76
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate
'Our job is to rebuild that middle class'
The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission