Derry's Pinkerton Academy looks at narrowing dress code
Pinkerton Academy students walk to classes during the opening day of school. Administrators are considering a plan that could change the dress code for the 2014-2015 school year. (HUNTER MCGEE PHOTO)
“The kids are all abuzz about this,” Dean of Students Glenn Ahrens said, adding, “There are a lot of options within those parameters.”
Ahrens said during an on-campus fashion show earlier this year, Student Council members modeled clothing that would be allowed under the proposed dress code, including polo shirts and even a sweater vest.
A parents’ meeting to discuss the dress code is set for Thursday at the school.
Despite having the word “Unified” in the name, the dress code is not a uniform, administrators said.
Pinkerton Academy students Joe Ronca and his sister, Alyssa Ronca, said they have mixed emotions about the proposed changes. “I would rather wear my own clothes to be honest, and some of the stuff they’ve given us to choose from is not the most attractive and appealing,” Alyssa Ronca, a freshman, said. “But it’s not that big of a deal. It will make getting ready easier.”Her brother is a junior.
“A lot of it is left to interpretation,” the elder Ronca said. “So I’d rather have a dress code; that way it’s cut and dried.”
“They aren’t going to the beach; they are coming to school, and they have to be dressed appropriately,” Anderson said.
“We have a dress code now, but the kids push the limits,” Anderson said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 11
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 2
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Stopping the worst people on earth - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name