Manchester elementary students may see other schools due to crowding
At the start of the school year, nearly two dozen classes in kindergarten through grade 5 were overcrowded by state standards, which set a limit of 25 pupils in grades K-2, and 30 students in grades 3 and above.
Livingston said she was still working with parents and principals to finalize the changes, which would take effect next Monday and would bring all elementary school class sizes within the state limits.
If more than 25 or 30 students enroll, the “principal will call the district office, and we’ll make the decision where the child will go,” Livingston said. She added that in the case of siblings, all would be given the option of transferring to the same school.
“Great job, thank you for the information,” Mayor Ted Gatsas said.
Pointing to the handouts distributed by Livingston, the board’s vice chairman, Dave Gelinas, said, “This is one of the best reports I’ve seen in a while. It’s very innovative.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 9
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 1
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 7
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 5
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief